Wednesday, June 27, 2007

VMware Workstation 6 on Vista

Ran into a “bug” with VMware Workstation 6 when running on Vista. Or, at least I thought it was a bug. When trying change the amount of system RAM that VMware as a whole can use (Edit – Preferences – Memory), or trying to change the memory swapping preferences on the same tab, VMware happily accepts your settings as you click OK. The problem is, the settings don’t change. Make the change, click OK, go back in – no change. Couldn’t find anything out on the net or VMware’s knowledge base.

After much agonizing, a light bulb went on over my head. User Account Control. When I modify my VMware shortcut to run as administrator, and accept the UAC prompt when launching, everything works fine. I know I had “run as administrator” turned on for VMware Workstation 5.5, but I must not have set it up after upgrading to Workstation 6.

No comments: